PORK BELLY KIMCHI FRIED RICE
- 6-8 strips of pork belly (about 1 - 1.5 cm thick), sliced into bite size
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups Kimchi, chopped
- 2 tbsp Kimchi marinade (this is the juice from Kimchi)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Korean hot pepper flakes (Gochugaru - you can purchase this from a Korean or Asian market)
- 1 tbsp Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang - you can purchase this from a Korean or Asian market) *optional*
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice (if using a rice cooker, water to rice ratio is 1:1 / if using a pot, water to rice ratio is 1.75:1)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Sesame seed for garnish
- Heat a large nonstick pan over high heat and add pork belly. Cook for about 1 minute and drain the excess fat with a paper towel. Lightly season with salt & pepper and reduce heat to med-high.
- Add onion and cook for about 1 minute so that the pork fat is absorbed into the onion.
- Add Kimchi and cook for about 2-3 minutes until all flavours are incorporated nicely.
- Add Kimchi marinade, salt, sugar, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste (optional), and black pepper; mix well (add more of any of the spices if needed).
- Add rice and mix all ingredients together. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5-6 minutes, mixing occasionally (I like to crisp up the bottom of the rice a bit, but that's totally up to you).
- Remove from heat; add sesame oil and green onion. Mix well.
- Transfer to a plate and garnish with sesame seed. Enjoy!
*I served it with rolled up eggs topped with roasted seaweed*