- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium sized zucchini
- Salt & pepper
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
- 4 Italian sausage, casing removed (mild hot)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 - 1 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides, leaving about 1 cm shell. Chop the zucchini flesh and set aside.
- Place zucchini on an oiled baking sheet (cut sides down); brush olive oil and sprinkle salt & pepper. Transfer to oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Turn them over and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil on a skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot and zucchini flesh; season with salt & pepper. Cook for about 5-6 minutes and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add sausage and cook until nicely browned, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to mixing bowl (discarding any juices) with the vegetables.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic (make sure to adjust the heat to avoid garlic from burning) and cook for about 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes, chili flakes, garlic salt, and basil; simmer for about 5 minutes. Transfer to mixing bowl with vegetables and sausage.
- Add bread crumbs and egg; mix well. Scoop the filling with a spoon and fill the zucchini shells as much as possible.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake for 13-15 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Before serving, sprinkle parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh basil. Enjoy!
*If you have leftover filling, add to pasta sauce for your next meal*